Monk Chasing Monkey by Kunzang Choden


Monk Chasing Monkey

by Kunzang Choden

Disclaimer: I'm rather behind on my reviews, so they will be super brief until I get caught up again.

I ordered this book from Bhutan to read as part of my last Round the World challenge. Several weeks after ordering it I received an email to say a delivery had been attempted, and it was now being returned to sender. I did manage to stop the book going halfway round the world a second time, but by the time it was finally delivered I was long past the Himalayas and Monk Chasing Monkey got relegated to the general TBR pile.

The book follows a monk who upon hearing a pop song which lists the 20 districts, or dzongkhags, (it's a thing in Bhutan apparently, to foster patriotism) becomes worried that he knows nothing of the country he lives in. What follows is a whistle-stop tour of Bhutan, every time the monks 'monkey mind' wonders off he follows it to a new district.

The book has a simple, endearing style and, while it is not overly substantial, does what it says on the tin. There is little in the way of deeper literary connotations, and I am not sure how long the book will stay with me, but it was a pleasant enough read and gave a good picture of a very different country.

103½/140: ★★★☆☆
 

Comments

Popular Posts